strong>Euskadi is one of the favourite holiday destinations in Spain, and it is not only an excellent sun and beach destination but also offers culture, atmosphere and a wide range of activities for a complete holiday.
However, it should be said that all along the Basque coast you will find beaches with very different characteristics, so it is a good idea to find out what each one has to offer before you visit.
To help you memorise the names, here are some of the best ones… You can’t miss them!
– La Concha: It is located next to the nerve centre of the city of San Sebastian and is undoubtedly one of the great attractions of the whole of the Basque Country. The charm of La Concha lies not so much in the quality of the beach as in the magnificent landscape that surrounds it, which combines the best of nature with a perfect range of leisure and services.
– La Zurriola: It is just a few kilometres away from the previous one, also located in the city centre. This beach is also very popular with surf lovers, as its strong waves are ideal for even the most novice surfers.
– Laida (or Laidatxu): This is also one of the most famous surfing destinations in Spain and is located in the Urdaibai Biosphere Reserve, in Vizcaya. The Billabong-Pro surfing championship has been held here since 1998.
– Barrika: This beach in Vizcaya is somewhat isolated, so access to it is complicated by high cliffs.
– Zarautz: Ideal both for sports lovers and for those looking to relax on their holidays, Zarautz beach has some incredible features both on a natural and leisure level. However, be careful with the tides because the water sometimes reaches up to the seafront!
Other beaches worth visiting are those of Laga, Sopelana and Sopelmar, among others.